Saturday 20 April 2013

A Tourist in Your Own Town

Sometimes you just need to get lost, disappear into the background and forget about other things that are going on around you. It maybe only for a while, an hour or so,  but you know if you do it can do you the world of good. Some lose themselves in a good book, a painting, a craft project, a film - everyone has their own preferred ways to vanish.
A couple of my favourite ways, other than crafting, are - sitting in a cafe with a coffee keeping me company and just watching the world go by  - and walking, anywhere really, a forest, the countryside, a park, the common with my husband and the dog.
Today, however, I'm going to do something different. Many of us take where we live for granted, especially if living in a large town or city. We moved to Gloucester over two years ago now and we have gotten over the shock of some of the most horrid (I don't usually use harsh words) shop fronts and forgotten places that are waiting for a person with a plan (and enough money) to do something.
Recently Gloucester was listed as the third in the top rated places in the UK for heritage (first was Oxford, followed by Norwich), but then an article popped up mentioning that many of Gloucester's heritage masterpieces are 'at risk' and that funding to care for such places is, well, not available.
Today I'm going to follow a heritage trail and blend into the background and lose myself in Gloucester. This heritage trail is my own route following the supposed Roman walls of Gloucester (pretty much all the remains are no longer and only a little is actually visible) and I already know that it's going to go by some 'not-so' pleasing heritage, and places that a normal tourist may turn the back to or bypass completely. Previous heritage trails have cut off a section of this route, and I think this is probably because of these areas that they detour via more significant and obviously visible heritage.
Time to grab my camera and disappear for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment